Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Genre: "The Discreet Princess" or The Adventures of Finette

Arriving at the Fete

One of my favorite stories of my young adulthood was written by Marie- Jeanne L'heritier during the late Baroque period - one of the periods covered by Genre right now - an era of sumptuous clothing among the courtiers and witty salons within which much was discussed - building up to the crescendo before the reign of terror in the late 1700s. It's the story of a careful, wise princess who navigates a number of troubling attempts at disrupting her honor, her safety, and her life at the hand of a single, vindictive man. I sometimes wish for her poise and clarity; being a fairy tale, the princess is one step ahead all along the way, and it's part of what I really love about the story. Finette is wise without being cruel - though her Fairy Godmother more than makes up for that lack of cruelty. Much as I love Finette, I fear I have far more in common with her sister, Nonchalant, than the estimable Discreet Princess.

A Fresh Face

My gown is a gorgeous release from The Library with the long bodice and wide skirts characteristic of this era. The gold is pretty consistent, but the colors vary - I chose blue but there's a whole range of rich, dark shades available. It's rigged in an interesting manner, bending slightly with my legs, but not too much - I'm not quite sure how she pulled it off, but it's a very neat effect. A gown this impressive needs an equally impressive hairstyle, and I got that and more with this astonishing confection from Bliensen + MaiTai, complete with roses and lace on one side. There are tiny curls all along the browline, and corkscrew curls for over the ears - my one wish was that they be linked separately, so I could move them around my enormous ears, but honestly the rest is so gorgeous I don't think anyone will notice my magic curls. I tucked in under the roses a lovely brooch from Eclectica set in a diamond pattern, which color changes on touch.

Every princess, Discreet or not, needs a slew of accessories. My lips are slightly pouty and decorated with shiny sheen from La Petite Morte, a perfect cupid's bow. There are a wide variety of shades available, but I went with rose red. I added on a lovely set of pearls from Lost Junction with a bow at the back of the neck. I particularly like the findings on the back of the neck - it's such a unique and delicate touch - and it comes in three shades: cream, pink, and white. You can also get it with large symbols in gemstones across the front, but I fell in love with the simple triple strand. Finally, perfect for flirting behind is my gorgeous pink and blue fan from The Muses. It's a gorgeous combo of ivory peacock feathers and gold embossed base, and there's one for each hand. I love the curve of the peacock feathers - two rows of them arching delicately out to the sides.

A Fan's Length


( More pictures here. )

Credits: 

Skin: Izzie's, Irene
Sparkles: Folly, Rainbow Sheen
Hair: Bliensen + MaiTai, Liaison Dangereous (Genre)
Brooch: Eclectica, Blenheim (Genre)
Ears: Illusions, Seelie Ears
Eyes: De La Soul, Rainbow
Eyelashes 1: SLink, Mesh Lashes
Eyelashes 2: Flugeln Brise, 05-A
Lipstick: La Petite Morte, Marie Antoinette (Genre)
Wings: Deviance, Sidhe
Hands: SLink, Rigged Mesh Hands
Nails: Nine Inch Nails, Deco
Clothing: The Library, Marie (Genre)
Fan: The Muses, Baroque Fan (Genre)
Necklace: Lost Junction, Marie Necklace (Genre)
Bracelet: Imeka, Pearl Bracelet
Shoes: Lassitude & Ennui, Emily Steampunk

Pose: NanTra


Location: Genre: Baroque
Light Settings: TOR, MIDDAY Herr Gracken
Water Settings: Glassy

Photographed by Deoridhe Quandry
Post processing: Cropping, only

No comments:

Post a Comment